Yesterday morning, I was delighted to see that one of my orchids had bloomed. These Trader Joe's orchids are of the ubiquitous genus - 'gift orchid, soon to die.' Despite my lack of green thumb, I have kept two of these alive and blooming for years.
Orchid Care - The Cheap and Easy Hustler Version
Orchid Tru Fans, stop reading now. You will just get upset.
1. Keep orchid loosely packed in an oversize flower pot filled with bark chunks. I use terracotta pots with slots in the sides. Keep in sunny kitchen window.
2. When the root-like tendrils start to whither, water.
3. Water for 15 minutes with the thinnest possible stream of tepid water from kitchen tap.
4. When you remember, feed orchids. For me, that is every 2 weeks to 6 months.
5. To feed, fill stock pot with water to 1/2" below orchid pot rim. Mix in teaspoon of orchid food. Soak orchid pot for 15 minutes. Remove. Put in next orchid.