Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Building a Chicken Coop, Part 5

(This is part 5 of a multi-part epic about re-building a chicken coop. Read Part 1 , Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)

At this stage, my chicken coop has been cleaned out, given a new door, topped with a tin roof, and given some siding. I was planning on painting the entire shed as a next step, but it didn't work out quite that way.

The previous homeowners had left a 5-gallon bucket of brilliant-white, semi-gloss, interior/exterior paint, and it was about two-thirds full. It seemed a little thicker than it should be, probably because it was getting on in years and had coagulated, but I figured it would suit my purposes.

Of course my five-year-old (above), who is intensely curious about the chicken coop and the garden, insisted on helping to paint as soon as she saw me with the brush and bucket. I put her to work on the back of the coop. She got about half the paint on the coop; the rest went on her hair and clothes. Here's her handiwork.

As I attacked the beams and the siding, it became clear to me that a lot of the wood, especially the plywood, was rotted, and no amount of paint was going to make it better. I was going to have to cut away the rotted portions and replace them with solid wood. I also decided I wanted to add siding to the inside of the coop, so it made no sense to paint the interior until I added siding. I know the chickens aren't going to care if the interior had siding, but I care. I want the coop to look tidy. It's probably a fool's errand to do this, because once the chickens move in they are likely to make a huge mess, but I might as well have a clean start.

I painted the beams and started on the siding, when I realized that I could apply the wire screen to the coop without finishing the painting. In the next installment, I'll show you what I did.